Banana Split

A long time ago when there were fewer responsibilities, when there was no homework to worry about and before there were early bedtimes to adhere to, going out every evening after dinner was the norm. My husband and I would go out with friends, to the mall or sometimes we stopped for some ice cream. At the ice cream shop we would order a banana split and share it. Banana split always brings a smile to my face as all those memories come flooding back.


Recently my daughter told me she had never tasted a banana split. While I am pretty sure she has I realized I had not made it for such a long time that she did not remember it. So I made some. I used the traditional chocolate, strawberry and vanilla flavored ice cream, chocolate sauce and some fresh strawberries. My daughter loved it.


This dessert is really filling so you might want to use small scoops to control portion size. Or split the dish between two people.

You will need (for 1 banana split)
1 just ripe banana
1 scoop chocolate ice cream
1 scoop vanilla ice cream
1 scoop strawberry ice cream
2 tbsp. whipped cream (adjust to taste)
2 tbsp. chocolate sauce
3 maraschino cherries

You may choose to buy whipping cream and make your own whipped cream. You can also make chocolate sauce at home or get store bought.

To assemble prepare the plate. You can use a special elongated dish or use a flat plate like I did. First peel and cut the banana along its length. Place it on the plate such that there is just enough room in between the two pieces to place the scoops of ice cream. Place the scoop of vanilla ice cream in the center and the chocolate and strawberry ice cream on either side. Add the chocolate sauce and the whipped cream. You can add nuts or fresh fruit. Place the cherries on top of each scoop of ice cream. Serve immediately.


Enjoy!

This is my entry for week three, day two of BM #53 for the theme Ice cream all the way. Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#53.

Comments

  1. This was one of the first "videsi" desserts my uncle used to whip up post his return from New York !! Just love it :)) and u r prompting me to make it soon !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post has got back so many memories for me Varada. When I was in college, my parents used to get me a huge tub of this banana split on their way home from work.I used to wait for the treat every weekend,.And now I can hardly remember the taste!! Got to eat this sometime soon :).And I enjoyed all the posts in this series Varada,esp this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, give me that plate, wat an alluring banana split, god am just drooling here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even I have not tasted banana split ☺️. It looks sinful with all those flavors or ice cream and chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks too tempting...very nicely presented banana split ice cream..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I have this on my list, guess the strawberry had this off for me all this while..I have been planning to make it myself for the longest time..your plate looks decadent..and nice reading about your memories..guess those days are so wonderful to remember again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This banana split OMG so many memories a all time favorite for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big ice cream person and I never had banana split either. I will definitely make this for my kids some time this summer though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it , and brings back nostalgic memories. Fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very sinful series of ice creams Varada. This is on the wish list :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am the only person who does not eat too much ice cream and stick to the traditional soft serve vanilla alone. My husband and boys would flip if I made this for them at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe Varada!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Varada I doubt if my family will cooperate with a bana split. They might eat the ice cream and I will have to eat the banana. But this is one dish I have been wanting to make for ages. I do mo remember eating it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me that I haven't had banana split in a long time now...must do that now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a great journey down memory lane. As a child, this was one of my favorite treats. There was an old style ice cream parlour/diner near my house and when I was in high school, my friends and I would often indulge in one of these on the weekends...now it's been more years than I can count since I had one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love bananas and this is looking gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.