Welsh Rabbit (Rarebit)

Welsh rabbit is really an open face cheese toast. Toasted bread slices are slathered with cheese sauce and toasted again. I baked a loaf of fresh bread for this recipe. You will find the recipe for the bread loaf here.


I used whole wheat bread but you could use white bread. For the cheese I used American sharp cheddar. English or Welsh cheddar would have been better suited but I stuck to the American cheese. I bought a block of good quality white cheddar but it got used up. So I used yellow cheddar instead. I looked at a lot of sources for the recipe.

You will need
For the sauce
2 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

6 slices fresh bread

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Melt the butter in a pan. Gradually stir in the milk and mustard. Add the cheese and mix well until it has melted completely. Turn off heat.

Toast one side of the slices of bread in a pan. Lay the toasted side on a baking sheet. Pour the cheese sauce over the top and toasted again.

Serve hot.

Comments

  1. Mustard is a nice addition to the sauce. I am not big into cheese but one who likes cheese a lot would love this rarebit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks sinful..wouldn't mind a bite from that:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome ..stupendous efforts put in to present such a beautiful meal.loved all the recipes..all doable..wow..

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name of the dish is such a misnomer -- I would have never thought it is just an open faced sandwich. Melted cheese sounds too good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow That is such a treat! My kids will love that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. couldnt take my eyes off...this looks super fabulous

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.