Colorful Spring Bundt Cake #BundtBakers

A super colorful spring bundt cake


I have always wanted to bake a multicolored cake. I got this recipe from the King Arthur website where it is called lemon bliss cake. I decided to skip the lemon and add a teaspoon of mint extract that I happened to have on hand. I am so glad I did! It gave the cake a fresh refreshing flavor.


I wanted to substitute the all purpose flour called for in the recipe with cake flour. Just before adding the cake flour to the batter I started having second thoughts. I went to the King Arthur website and asked to chat with an agent. Mary, the agent, promptly told me not to make the substitution as this cake needed the stronger all purpose flour. Wow! I was impressed. Thanks King Arthur Flour!


I enjoyed playing with the batter; dividing it, mixing in the colors and layering them in the pan.
The only thing I would change about this cake is the glaze. I should have dusted sugar on the top instead.

You will need
8 tbsp butter, melted
scant 1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp mint extract
liquid colors green and yellow

Preheat oven to 350 F. Using a combination of oil and flour grease the bundt pan. Ensure you get all the nooks and crannies.

Combine and cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat until fluffy. Sift the baking powder and flour together. Add a little of the flour mixture and milk alternating between the two until it is all gone. Continue beating the batter. I used a hand beater. Fold in the mint extract.

Divide the batter into 3 bowls. Fold in the green color into one of the bowls and the yellow color in another.


Layer the batter one color at a time in the prepared pan.


Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. A few minutes before the cake is done bring 2 cups of water to a boil in the microwave. Place a couple of hand towels in the sink and soak them with warm water. Just before removing the cake from the oven pour the heated water from the microwave over the towels. Now place the bundt pan on the hot towels for about 20 seconds. Working quickly loosen the sides of the cake. Invert the pan on a cooling rack and watch the cake release in one piece.


Apply glaze while the cake is hot or dust lightly with powdered sugar. Allow to cool completely before cutting.


Enjoy a slice of a very moist, mint flavored, colorful spring cake!


Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Too clever! I love the multi-colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed with how this turned out, Varada! When I read the part about forgetting the baking powder I was expecting you to pour it back out of the baking tin and into the mixing bowl. All I can say is, my hat is off to you and well done! It turned out perfectly! Thank you for joining Bundt Bakers! We need your kind of steel nerves in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it always something? I forgot salt a few days ago in some hot cross buns. I remembered after baking. Good save on stirring in the baking powder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colours you chose for the cake, Varanda. And I agree with Stacy on that I am impressed on how calmly you hundled the situation! If it was me I would have given up and mix it up again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful. I always thought that multicolored cakes just never turn out the way they look in pictures, but you have proven me wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. I never knew multi colored cakes were so easy to bake either.

      Delete
  6. The perfect color palette for a Spring cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your spring Bundt looks wonderful. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ingenious how you saved the cake by working in the baking powder at the end. And what a beautiful cake to save. It would have been a shame to toss all that nice batter. Oh, and I agree that King Arthur Flour is the best in both products and customer service.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Verada, that was a great save after forgetting the baking powder. Your bundt is so pretty with the two colors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.